13 Home Remedies for InsomniaSubmit your Home Remedy for Insomnia
Hidden anxietyEven though you are not aware of it, you may still be filled with hidden sexual anxiety. Sex--any way you can get it will help you sleep.
June 23 2015
Lucky from Houston
Sunlight boosts sleepI used to suffer from terrible insomnia and I found that spending 15 mins (I am Indian) in the sun every morning (between 9-11am) worked wonders for my sleep. Within 3 days I started falling sound asleep. I was even able to sleep in the afternoons something that never happened before, If you have pale skin, you might want to venture out with a sunscreen, Sunlight helps boost serotonin levels in the brain, the key ingredient to enjoying a good nights sleep!
December 21 2014
Meera from Mumbai
Get relaxed!I used to have pretty bad insomnia, but now I fall asleep easily if I follow all these steps. It's a long term solution, but don't worry. Long term solutions are the only thing you can do for insomnia. No one ever died from lack of sleep.
1. Quit the screens 1-2 hours before bed.
2. Get regular mental and physical exercise any time during the day except near bedtime.
3. Get in bed with an audiobook (free ones on youtube), regular books will keep you awake. Listen for 15 mins-45 mins, depending on when you'd like to stop, and then turn it off and lay in the darkness, eyes closed, focusing on staying in one comfortable spot.
4.If you lay for 30 minutes with no stimulation and still can not sleep, get out of bed and take a melatonin, or if you do not have that, do something relaxing like a bath or shower.
November 27 2014
Olivia from New Mexico
You tubeGuided meditations and sleep hypnosis progressive relaxation videos are free.
September 19 2014
Cara from California
TricksSometimes you just need to get into a nightly routine. Whether its reading for 10 minutes before you go to sleep or having a cup of tea. Try not to do anything that sets your mind thinking. You want to calm your mind to sleep not speed it up.
July 14 2014
Jbd from Aus
Guided meditation videosEver since I discovered Guided Meditation videos on YouTube, I have been falling asleep without needing any pills or alcohol.
July 04 2014
SoniaG from Accra, Ghana
Insomnia cureFor all you night owls out there that want to catch some Z's.
1) Valerian Root. Research it, its a natural relaxant. Works wonders. Google valerian root for more information on dosage and where to buy it. Your local health food store should have it. c:
2) Make yourself a cup of night time tea. Chamomile flowers are very relaxing. Even putting chamomile flowers on your pillow/face will make you relaxed. Poppy flowers are good for smelling, too (not for tea).
3) You may be an insomniac just because your sleep patterns are off. Try forcing yourself to wake up early so you'll be tired enough at the end of the day to sleep.
4) Read. Read an article. An Article about nature. Or science. Or space... to get your brain into DEEP THINKING. The deep theta waves that are associated with deep thought and complex thinking are also associated with dreaming, and sleep. :D
5) Take a hot bath, it relaxes your muscles and promotes blood flow.
6) Cut back on sugar.
U.S. Health experts say that sugar is just as addictive and bad for your health as alcohol and cigarettes.
Cutting back on sugar will make your body return to a healthier state and easing your restless mind. Sugar molecules are tiny enough to pass through the selective membrane of your cells very easy. High sugar concentrates in your body can cause:
It's especially horrible when sugar gets to your brain, have you ever had sugar rushes and sugar head aches? Yep.
January 05 2014
Stephanie from Florida
Yerba mate tea.Yerba mate tea will put you to sleep. Drink 1 to 2 cups before bed and sweet dreams.
October 08 2013
Paul from Sydney Aus
Gaba for sleep issuesTo figure out sleep issues you often need to look at what you are doing during the day. Exercise during the day to use up energy will promote sleep. Slow music will slow your brain waves and help to settle you for sleep. Gamma Aminobutyric Acid (GABA) is effective at inhibiting brain activity for those of you who suffer from Busy Brain. It is an amino acid and is very gentle on the brain and body unlike sleeping pills .
So if Melatonin doesn't work for you, try GABA. Taking Tyrosine during the day can reinforce your wake cycle and alertness and therefore make it easier for you to go to sleep at night as you have been properly stimulated during the day.
August 29 2013
Holly from New Zealand
Sleepless in bedTry Melatonin it's in the vitamin section. You can get it in 1 mg - 3 mg - 10 mg. Works great it helps to relax you and promotes sleep.
February 11 2013
Sher from Illinois
Fall Asleep FastWhenever I cant go to sleep, I grab my bible and start reading. I get sleepy before I'm done reading the first paragraph. The devil doesn't want me to read so I'll fall asleep fast.
November 05 2010
Girlmoss from Warner robins, Ga
SleeplessnessIt seems since I have gotten older that I need less sleep at night. I haven't been able to fix this problem though. It seems I only need about 6 hrs worth of sleep.
I decided one night to just get up and stop laying there! I went and did the dishes, washed some clothes, drank a cup of hot tea, and sometimes just get on the Internet and browse for awhile.
The main thing is that I'm not just laying there "thinking" about something. Sometimes even watching a movie helps me go off to sleep.
Just remember if you can't sleep... you are not alone! There are lots of us!
March 20 2010
Carol Ann from South Dakota